Saturday, February 27, 2010

American Ranger in Hollywood


My wife Debbie and I had a great time in Hollywood for the DIY Convention. During this event, my book "My Last War", was awarded the grand prize for the 2009 DIY Book Festival. The prize came with a cash award of $1,500!

The evening included numerous awards for books and films, and I had a chance to meet a lot of very creative people. The picture (above left) shows Bruce Haring, general manager of the DIY Convention, presenting me with the award.

During my acceptance, I said that I was honored to serve with my fellow soldiers in Vietnam, and I was equally honored to serve with their sons and daughters in Iraq. I asked everyone present to pray for the soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines whose service around the world was making it possible for us to enjoy our evening in peace and safety. I also asked for prayers for the families of our warriors and for those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.


I was fortunate also to have the chance to link up with Doc (left with Debbie and me), my medic in Iraq. Doc (John Actis II AKA actor John Ceallach) lives in Hollywood, and he was able to attend the ceremony.

Thanks again to those who have bought the book, who have supported me in my efforts, and who have contacted me via email, Facebook, or "snail" mail.

Charles M. Grist
www.MyLastWar.com

No comments:

Post a Comment