Tuesday, June 3, 2008

My Mission Continues - For a Little Longer

I am writing this from a less-than-great motel on the plains of Oklahoma. Shipped to the west along with a bunch of my comrades, we are again responsible for doing the pre-mobilization training for a large group of soldiers who will deploy to one of the war zones sometime during the next year.

As I have mentioned before, this is one of my last active duty assignments, but it is always just as important as it always was. Other than fighting the battles and serving on the ground in war, nothing is more important than getting these youngsters ready to face a war of IEDs, ambushes, urban warfare and convoys.

It will be tough to leave this behind after so many years. Just six months from today - December 3rd - will be the 40th anniversary from when I entered basic training as a 19-year-old young man.

That's O.K. It's been a helluva ride and the police part of my life will continue. Yeah, I'll probably be the oldest cop in my police department, but I guess someone has to be!!

SFC Chuck Grist
www.AmericanRanger.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the - Web Reconnaissance for 06/05/2008 A short recon of what’s out there that might draw your attention, updated throughout the day...so check back often.

    ReplyDelete